What is Sysdig Monitor
Sysdig Monitor is a monitoring, alerting and data collection tool that you can leverage with your application. Sysdig lets you create custom dashboards, alerts and operational-level captures to help understand your application’s performance and diagnose issues.
The tool consists of 3 main components:
- Sysdig agents. These are installed on each node in the platform’s Silver and Gold hosting tier clusters. These agents collect information about the cluster and any integrated applications. We support this component
- A Sysdig operator. This monitors custom resource definitions (CRDs) created in application tools namespaces to provide user access to Sysdig. We support this component
- The Sysdig Software as a Service. This provides tools for building dashboards. The Sysdig vendor supports this component
Monitor the health of your application
Sysdig lets you monitor the performance of your application and compare current metrics with past performance. The tool automatically collects and labels several predefined metrics. You can also configure and track your own custom metrics and parameters.
Get notified about events
Sysdig tracks a wide range of issues, metrics and anomalies. Keep track of events as they occur and receive predictive alerts when the system thinks an event is going to happen. You can also create custom alerts that notify you when an issue or event occurs that requires your attention.
Visualize application performance
Track the performance of your application with custom dashboards that summarize the metrics and alerts that are most useful to you. You can use Sysdig’s pre-made dashboard templates or build your own dashboards to create a custom view of your application.
Who can use it
Sysdig Monitor can be used by applications in the Silver and Gold hosting tiers.
In order to begin using the tool, you need to create an account with BCDevOps Sysdig Monitor. This requires a GitHub account that has an active membership in the bcgov organization on GitHub.
Each member of your team who plans to access or use Sysdig will need to create their own Sysdig account.
When to use it
Setting up Sysdig is a one-time action that provides useful long-term benefits. We recommend that you start monitoring your application as soon as it’s deployed to OpenShift.
Some activities on the platform require metrics you collect from your application. For example, if you want to request additional namespace resource quota for an application, you need to provide application resource usage metrics from that application to support your request. By integrating Sysdig Monitor early in your application’s deployment, you’ll have those metrics when you need them.
Where to get support
Rocket.Chat is the main communication channel for platform tool support.
- For best practices, configuration and troubleshooting questions, use the #devops-sysdig channel
- For urgent support, contact us on the #devops-sos channel
- For cluster-wide service notifications that may impact Sysdig availability, check the #devops-alerts channel
For additional assistance, you can visit the platform support page.
Learn how to log in to your Sysdig account, manage team access, create your first dashboard and more.
Go to the technical documentation for Sysdig Monitor.
Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) and Security Threat Risk Assessment (STRA) have been completed for Sysdig Monitor. Send a request to the Platform Services team to access these assessments.